Monday, August 31, 2009

Loved

Lately I've been really overwhelmed by several people in our lives who take a really big interest in our family, especially our kids. Here's some recent pictures of a few of them and a couple stories.






Amy talked to me at church last Spring and asked if she could be our nanny for the summer. I told her I'd love having her around my house but hadn't been budgeting for a nanny. First she offered to do it as her ministry (wow!) then her mom said she'd pay her daughter to work for me (wow again!). She came two or three times a week for about three hours and gave me time to clean, run errands, or spend one-on-one time with one of the kids. She showed so much initiative and became great at knowing the little things she could do around the house to really lighten my load. Amy has now started her freshman year of high school, so we don't get to see her nearly as much. We enjoy catching some volleyball games and seeing her at church.


Julie and I have been meeting for mentoring/discipleship since she was in eighth grade. Over the years, she has begun to feel more like a part of our family (like a niece) than a student/babysitter/girl I meet with. Julie's now a senior and super busy but still making time to be with us. She's so mature, thoughtful, generous...a precious friend to me! We're doing Beth Moore's "A Woman's Heart, God's Dwelling Place" together this year, and I'm looking forward to all that I'll learn from her! I think this picture of Julie with our kids may show up in her senior slide show, which shows you what a big part of her life she considers our kids to be!


This is Caleb and Leslie. Caleb's the guy we named Drew after. They were both MCA students that AJ really connected with, and now they're dating! Leslie's parents moved away, but she came back to visit and we got to have her stay with us. It was a big treat to have so much time with them, and they are a definite example of people who think the smallest things our kids do are impressive. Caleb says "That's awesome!" every time Drew stands up, the girls sing their ABCs...don't know if I've ever seen a college guy be so enamored by little kids before.

We're truly loved and feel so grateful and humbled.

No comments: